Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Survey - wedding DJ earnings in your country
djliborPRO InfinityMember since 2013
Hello to everybody,
recently on another occasion a DJ mentioned the financial reward that is common for playing a wedding in his country. This motivated me to create a worldwide survey of DJ ratings on this occasion. Please, if you have at least a little knowledge, tell us how it goes in your country. Convert currency to US dollars. For objectivity, put the average DJ at the wedding of an ordinary citizen. So NOT how much David Guetta will earn if he comes to play at Kim Kardashian's wedding :D And also what is the approximate average gross salary in your country, that is also important. Thank you and I'll start:

Czech Republic, earnings 450-700 USD, average gross salary 1820 USD

geposted Wed 15 Feb 23 @ 10:30 pm
Denmark, earnings 700-900 USD, average gross salary 6.550 USD per month / 75.000 USD per year

geposted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 12:17 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
It's not just country, it's region. For example, I live an hour south of Chicago. For my area, 1-2000 USD is normal. Go to Chicago, 3-5000 is the going rate, for full service wedding DJs.

geposted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 4:09 pm
I need to move to Chicago!!

geposted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 5:17 pm
So many parameters at play. Varies by venue, by part of city, by venue, by class of clientele and by type of wedding. Music during the day? celebrant duties? music in the evening?

In my city (Aberdeen, Scotland) an average evening only (up to 5 hours) wedding with gear supplied would be $300 but some of the agencies get away with charging over $400. The reason it's so low here is that long standing companies have never pushed their prices up with inflation which is insane for an oil rich city. But as I said it does vary greatly by location.

geposted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 6:12 pm
Great, thanks for the responses, keep it up :-)
Based on the post by KRADCLIFFE, mention the earnings for playing from afternoon to morning hours. So let's say 8-10 hours of action.
Don't forget to include the average gross monthly salary in your country.
Thank you

geposted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 7:06 pm
Surely salary depends on how many gigs you get, and in my case most of them are not weddings ....... and in a lot of cases they're not all day either.

But yes I guess who do weddings permanently all day can respond.

geposted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 7:09 pm
Sorry, I worded it wrong.
Average gross monthly earnings means the amount earned by an ordinary citizen in a normal job that happens every day. E.g. a person in a factory, a waiter, etc. Actually, thanks to this data, I will know what percentage of the average monthly salary they spend on DJing. E.g. here in the Czech Republic, it is approximately a third of the salary.
DJing is a pretty niche job with irregular gigs/earnings.
Of course, some people have two jobs, so for objectivity it is good to state the total.

geposted Thu 16 Feb 23 @ 7:20 pm