Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: My DJM crossfader doesnt match VDJ
I use a DJM S7 for mixing. And when I use VDJ, the crossfader is kind of wonky. Like the DJM crossfader would be in middle, and that would put the VDJ crossfader close to the right side instead. Is there anyway to fix it??

geposted Thu 09 Mar 23 @ 5:11 am
Most likely by cleaning or replacing the crossfader.
It seems that while your crossfader may process audio in a correct way, it sends wrong MIDI data.

geposted Thu 09 Mar 23 @ 2:49 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Most likely by cleaning or replacing the crossfader.
It seems that while your crossfader may process audio in a correct way, it sends wrong MIDI data.

Not sure if completely replacing the x fader is needed.
I mean, for some reason it works perfectly for Serato.

geposted Thu 09 Mar 23 @ 4:40 pm
If it works perfectly with Serato it should work perfectly with VirtualDJ too.
DJM-S7 is using "External Mixer" audio configuration.
This means that the hardware of the mixer is doing the mixing itself.
So, if your crossfader can process the audio in a correct way, it will work "perfectly" with both Serato and VirtualDJ.

What I said above is that the crossfader may be sending wrong MIDI data despite working ok for audio.
In VirtualDJ MIDI data of the crossfader is used only to show the crossfader position on screen. Not to mix/blend audio as that's done by the hardware.
In Serato you don't get a "visual representation" of DJM-S7 mixer. Therefore you can't tell if the crossfader is sending wrong MIDI data or not.

Finally, it's not unheard of crossfaders (or even volume faders) going bad where they mix the analog audio perfectly, but they send wrong MIDI data on the connected software. You are "lucky" that the mixing is done in hardware level and therefore the bad MIDI data of the crossfader has no impact on your mixing. However if the crossfader has gone bad (and it doesn't need just some cleaning with a can of compressed air) then it's likely that sooner or later it will start misbehaving with normal audio mixing too.

geposted Thu 09 Mar 23 @ 6:43 pm
n.peppinPRO SubscriberMember since 2022
I am getting the same behavior with a brand new S7. The crossfader on the mixer is dead center but is shifted to the right on screen in Virtual DJ. Is there a way to reset the midi data or how can you fix it?

geposted Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 6:36 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I get the same here, and it's how the Crossfader of the device is made to work. Nothing wrong with VirtualDJ or related to any setting.
There is a "dead" area somewhere between 40% and 60% where the fader seems "dead" - is not updating its position linear.
But since the audio mixing is done through the device's mixer (Ext Mixer setup in VirtualDJ with deck and deck 2), it's only a matter of representation on the screen and nothing more.

geposted Tue 04 Apr 23 @ 7:27 pm
I have the same issue I can’t find the cutlag setting like on the ddj 1000 to fix it. I have to keep fumbling with the crossfader curve knobs because the songs don’t have the same volume . We all can’t have bad crossfaders.

geposted Fri 07 Jul 23 @ 1:11 am
Obviously you didn't understand what's happening. Let me explain:

Your crossfader is not broken. It works the way Pioneer designed it to work.
However: IT DOESN'T MATTER what VirtualDJ shows for the crossfader position (for DJM-S7, S9, S11 e.t.c.). The position of the crossfader that you see on the VirtualDJ skin, IS NOT USED anywhere! It is just a dummy visual thing!
That's because the mixer itself does the mixing (external mixer mode). In this mode VirtualDJ does not take the crossfader (or even volume faders, gain, eq e.t.c.) into consideration. It just shows the movement of all those controls on the skin.

So: There's nothing to fix from our side. Pioneer for whatever reason doesn't send linear MIDI data for the crossfader. That can only be solved with a firmware update from Pioneer.
Even then, nothing would really change though. The visual representation of the crossfader would be more accurate, but soundwise the crossfader would work exactly the same way as it does today.

geposted Fri 07 Jul 23 @ 12:06 pm
seems like to me that the on screen fader have to be centered for the songs to have the same volume what setting to use to make the pioneer mixer take over ? also if i take the mouse and move it the on screen crossfader it controls the sound no matter where the pioneer crossfader is at.

geposted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 7:22 pm
For which controller / mixer ?
And do you use factory default mapping ?

geposted Tue 05 Dec 23 @ 11:35 pm