Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VirtualDJ 2024: CloudDrive FAQ
Q) If I connect to my CloudDrive on another computer, where are the files I play going to be downloaded, and do I need to delete them after?
A) When you drag a file from a clouddrive list to a deck, the file will be streamed directly, not downloaded. (if you want to download it, you have to drag it to a local folder or to mylists)

Q) I put some files from iDJPool/Deezer/Tidal/etc on a CloudDrive list, but now they won't play on another computer.
A) files coming from online sources are not uploaded to the CloudDrive (that would be totally illegal anyway), only the link to their original platform is saved. But if you are logged in to the online source, they will play just fine from CloudDrive.

Q) I already have some music on my storage, can I browse and stream it from VirtualDJ?
A) If you're using OneDrive or Dropbox, right-click on the CloudDrive root folder and select "show all OneDrive/Dropbox folders". This will add your native OneDrive/Dropbox folders and you can stream any tracks, upload or delete new tracks, create or delete new folders. Note that you cannot have automatic synchronization with "native" folders.
If you're using Google Drive, Google has a very long security review process before it will let an application access the user's entire drive. This verification has been in process for VirtualDJ 2024 for some time already, but is still pending.
If you're using iCloud, there is no such option.

Q) In Google Drive, or iCloud, I don't see the files that are uploaded from VirtualDJ
A) When using CloudDrive lists, VirtualDJ uses a special "application" folder, that on Google Drive is hidden. (you can still delete it from drive.google.com, by going in "Manage Apps" under "VirtualDJ").
This is done so that VirtualDJ doesn't need to get granted access to all your files on your storage, for security reasons.

Q) In OneDrive or Dropbox, I see all the files in the VirtualDJ/ or app/VirtualDJ/ folders, but they are all at the root not following the folder structure.
A) that's on purpose. VirtualDJ treats the storage provider as a flat database, and keeps the internal structure of the list separate, so that you can add the same track to several lists without having to reupload each time.

Q) Some of my tracks lost their cue points or comment when used on another computer.
A) VirtualDJ stores all the information like title, artist, comment, stars, cue points, etc, in "metadata" associated with the files.
Some providers, like iCloud, or Google Drive, will let us store as much metadata as we want.
Some, like OneDrive, have only a very limited amount of metadata.
If the metadata of a file are too big to be stored, VirtualDJ will automatically discard some metadata in order of importance. automatic cues and long comments are the first to go.

Q) I put some video files on CloudDrive, but when I want to stream them, VirtualDJ is waiting until the whole file is downloaded before starting to play.
A) This all depends how your file was encoded. When an audio or video file is created, most encoding software have an option called "fastStart" or something similar. Technically, what it does, is to put the index of the file (called "moov" block in MP4) at the beginning, instead of at the end. This is done especially so that the file can be streamed, and can start to play without waiting for the full file to download. If your file was not encoded with faststart, then VirtualDJ (and any other streaming software) will not be able to stream it until it's fully downloaded.

Q) I synced a folder with some karaoke CDG files, or ZIP files, or some Track Cleaner files (.vdjedit), or other non-standard files. But I cannot stream them from CloudDrive.
A) streaming only works for standard audio or video files (and only "works good" if it's encoded with the index at the beginning, see question above). Any other file type, like those mentioned in the question, will not be able to "stream". What you need to do, is download them to any folder, and play them from the folder once they're downloaded.

geposted Mon 01 Apr 24 @ 5:12 pm