Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Clarification
Can someone please explain the benefits of the new "Lists" vs "Playlists"??

Like is there about to be a shift in the industry that we haven't heard about yet, or is this just a VDJ thing?

I now have like 3 copies of my playlists in 3 different folders, some are "Lists" and some are "Playlist" format.

Things just seem messy now and I'm not comfortable with all this.

geposted Mon 08 Apr 24 @ 3:40 pm

geposted Mon 08 Apr 24 @ 3:57 pm
VirtualFolder's xml format has been used in VirtualDJ for more than 20 years, so it's not really new vs old.
But it's more powerful than m3u, it can both contain files and subfolders, have or not duplicates, can be split over several drives, etc.
It made no sense to keep having both virtualfolders, and m3u playlists, since they're both serving the exact same purpose and it was very confusing for new users, so we had to choose one.

From now on, unless you have a good reason not to, people are encouraged to use only vdjfolders.
We only kept options like browserShowLegacyM3UPlaylists or browserAutoExportM3U for the handful of users who integrate virtualdj with other tools, until these tools can switch to using xml. But if you don't need, you should use only vdjfolders.

geposted Mon 08 Apr 24 @ 5:26 pm
Stephane I just installed the latest early access and noticed that history is still stored as .m3u?

I thought that with the changes everything would be standard as .xml across the whole of VDJ.

geposted Mon 08 Apr 24 @ 6:14 pm
kradcliffe wrote :

I thought that with the changes everything would be standard as .xml across the whole of VDJ.

And that's where most of my confusion is coming from, unless not everything has been updated yet...

geposted Mon 08 Apr 24 @ 7:54 pm
Yes it's puzzling me a bit too. What's the point of making changes so everything is universal except it's not ......

geposted Tue 09 Apr 24 @ 10:01 am
I'm finding the xml folders dont like to behave properly when making list, i put things in a certain order and the folders keep changing that order no matter what I try, the older m3u list behave properly and stay in the order i put them in unless i change the order myself

geposted Fri 12 Apr 24 @ 5:26 am