Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: What Laptop ?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I'm looking for a laptop to use it with Atomix. I like the HP omnibook XE3, but it seems like many users around here have a Sony Viao. So here are my questions :

- Do you think there is a difference between the two of them (Sony/HP) and why do so many users have a Sony ?
- Has anybody ever experienced HP XE3 (I read only one post about it, about skipping) ?
- Or even another laptop with the same audio card (ESS Allegro) ?
-Does anyone know what "3D enhanced PCI bus sound" means ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Damocles.

geposted Tue 14 Aug 01 @ 11:27 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I bought the Sony for one primary reason. The Firewire plug. Since I'm using an 80 gig external hard drive I needed the firewire input to plug it in. I haven't seen any other laptops that come with this feature as standard, and I didn't want to use an add on card for this important need. So far it's working great! I've been using it for about a month now, (5-6 gigs each week) The worst possible thing that can happen is for the unit to get bumped. This causes the firewire plug to jiggle, which tells the computer that the hard drive is disconnected.... then you pretty much need to re-boot.

geposted Tue 14 Aug 01 @ 6:11 pm
I posted the skipping prob, although it's only an issue if the up/down keys are pressed any faster than 4-5 seconds apart, which is still a pain :(

Even then, the XE3 is pretty good, nicely featured/priced with CD writer and heaps of processing power, great for mixing up a set and burning to CD straight away! (I've done a few demo CD's this way)

I've built a hardware controller for AtomixMP3 (keyboard controller with buttons all in a small box). The XE3 also has TV out and I'm thinking of embedding a small (12"?) and flat (LCD?) TV screen with my hardware controller and a trackball all in one box with the XE3 sitting inside... really easy to setup at parties! One box for computer/display/control which plugs straight into mixer.

AL

PS - I use the standard sound card, therefore mono for each deck into the mixer, although for most tracks it's not noticable at a large party with a thumping sound system.

PPS - I have noticed sound quality deteriorates when pitched up or down from normal BPM, although that seems to be Atomix (from reading other posts).

geposted Wed 15 Aug 01 @ 2:36 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)