Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: BEWARE OF THE DAC 3

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I received my DAC 3 yesterday and after trying it for a few hours, I will be returning it today!

Although it is a beautiful, rugged piece - IT DOES NOT WORK WITH ALL USB 2.0 PORTS. Most important - IT DOES NOT WORK WITH VDJ.

I contacted PCDJ and explained the problem:

The DAC 3 stops controlling the VDJ software. It only works one way.

I was told that I needed a new USB 2.0 PCI card. That my USB ports could be diffective. I know that I have a pretty powerful, modern computer. I also know that there was nothing wrong with my USB ports, so I tried my very powerful VIAO laptop, and I experienced the same problem. Little does the PCDJ people know that I have two very powerful desktops, one very powerful laptop and 15 years of experience building computers.

I decided to visit PCDJ, in Clearwater, FL and let them check to see it the DAC 3 was diffective. According to PCDJ, there's nothing wrong with the DAC 3. The technician checked it for a few minutes, by plugging it in and ensuring that the DAC 3 controlled their PCDJ FX. While at PCDJ, I tried two different DAC 3 with my Laptop, neither work with PCDJ FX and my very powerful, MODERN laptop.

He advised me to get a USB 2.0 PCI card for my desktop and that should solve the problem. He also told me to get a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card for my laptop, making my INDIGO DJ unusable, since I only have one PCMCIA slot.

I decided to go against what I knew was not the problem and bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and installed it on my desktop. GUESS what, after a few minutes of mixing with the DAC 3 and VDJ, the DAC 3 stopped controlling the software.

This is really sad. $500 for a unit that does not work properly. I really wanted the DAC 3 to live up to the hipe. But it simply did work with my systems. The Dac 3 might work in some computers with a USB 2.0 PCI card and PCDJ FX, but it doesn't work with VDJ. I bought the DAC 3 so that I can use it with VDJ NOT PCDJ FX. PCDJ needs to get back to the drwing board, or solve this very important issue - the DAC 3 does not work on all modern USB 2.0 ports!

So I'm retrieve to the DAC 2. It my not be the latest & greatest, but at least it is reliable.

The premier
Jose

geposted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 3:37 pm
I purchased the DAC3 and it works perfectly for me. It really could be an issue with your system. I actually had a conflict with the DAC2 on my new system that caused the music to skip. Never happened on my laptop system. I purchased the DAC3 and no more skipping and it works beautiful with VDJ especially with the new mapper. Did you check for system conflicts? DId you set VDJ to look for the unit in USB mode in the settings, controller menu?

geposted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 4:18 pm
What are the specs of your "powerfull" laptop and what ya have all hooked up on it ? Seems like u have a USB bandwith problem ? And, no offence, u may scream u have a powerfull laptop, but what does powerfull mean in your eye's ? Sure, u have el cheapo stuff and great stuff, but even great stuff can be a flaw. And for me, USB 2.0 is just a standard, so I am hustled here that it is not compatible with your USB ports, unless you have 1.1 ports.

geposted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 4:24 pm
DAC-3 works fine although I had a problem on VDJ in midi mode on 1 pc - but works fine on the laptop - I also had a problem with DAC-2 on the same PC - Turned out to be the USB cable. The DAC-3 is a great bit of kit and works great with VDJ, especially with the new mapper plugin by jpboggis. - Think - could it be a hardware conflict or dodgy cable before sending back this fantastic bit of kit.

geposted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 4:43 pm
I've been using the DAC-3 flawlessly for 2 months now (Both with the original PCDJ MIDI driver and various versions of my mapper.) I did have an issue with VDJ crashing after exiting and saving the database in VDJ v3.1 with the MIDI driver, but this was just an inconvenience rather than a problem,

My laptop is a Sony Vaio (The 2Ghz widescreen VGN model with 1Gb RAM.) The DAC-3 also works perfectly on my Dell desktop PC, where I've done most of the development work on my DAC-3 mapper.

geposted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 4:52 pm
DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT SYSTEMS I HAVE?

Here they are:

Gaming Desktop 1

AMD 64 FX 57
Asus a8n SLI
2 XFX 7800 GTX (SLI Config)
2 gig of DDR 400
2 10k Raptors in RAID 0
Audigy 2 ZS

Dj Desktop

Pentuim 4 3.4 Extreme
Intel 925x
2 gig DDr2 mem
2 10k Raptors in Raid 0
ATI X800XT Videocard
Delta 44 Audio
VDJ
Cool Edit Pro

VIAO Laptop

Pentium 4 3.06
1 gig ram
80 gig Harddrive

The Dac 3 & VDJ was tested in each of these systems and did not work. Maybe I just have bad luck.

I appreciate your input. That's the purpose of this post. The same way you would NOT lie that everything works great for you, it's the same with me. I only tell the truth.

I'm going to deduce that the DAC 3 that I'm returning is DEFECTIVE. I'm just sorry that PCDJ did not believe me when I explained that there was something not right with my unit.

The Premier DJ
Jose

geposted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 7:06 pm
Hold it...

I can't deduce that the DAC 3 is deffective becuase I tried two different DAC 3 with may laptop and saw the same problem.

The question is this.
How can this happen with three different systems?

If I take my VIAO Laptop and try two different DAC 3, and they each don't work (same symptom) Is it my laptop? I change the Dac 3 to the Dac 2 and there are no such symptom. I try the Dac 2 on all 3 systems and there is no such a problem.

I'm just real sorry that I bought the DAC 3!

Jose

geposted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 7:37 pm
Again,

Just to check. Did you set the controller options in the settings menu to "usb"? Just a shot in the dark to try to help. Also download the new mapper and turn on the midi option. I mentioned usb in my post before. Might not be the answer but just trying to help.

geposted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 8:36 pm
bmac16PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I've been using my DAC-3 for 2 months flawessly with VDJ. I think it's the best external controller for VDJ at this time. Expecially with JPboggis's new plug in.

I've used the xp-10, dac 2, TCCD's & TCV's. Nothing compares to the DAC 3.

I'm sorry you haven't had the same success.

geposted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 8:37 pm
What setting options to USB?

VDJ, Config, Controller, auto find, then when you return it shows that it found the controller as a USB device?

VDJ finds the controller. The problem is that after a few minutes of mixing, the controller will stop controlling the software. The software still works. If you use the mouse to stop the song playing, you can see that the controller is receiving the action. But, AGAIN the dac 3 fails after a few minutes.

There's no mapper needed in order to control vdj 3.2 with the dac 3. If I place v1 mapper into the vdj that's another story. I'll deal with that, if I ever get the DAC 3 working.

MIDI option? Is that an option that comes up with v1 mapper?

Thanks for the help.

Jose

geposted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 9:05 pm
MIDI isn't required for the DAC-3 anymore - You only need it if you are using the PCDJ MIDI drivers (Prior to native support) or are using another MIDI controller in conjunction with the DAC-3 (Such as Evolution UC-16 or UC-33)

If the displays on the DAC-3 continue to work, but the buttons, jogwheels, etc. fail to respond, it look like 2 way communication between VDJ and the DAC-3 has been lost (DAC-3 receives display update instructions from VDJ, but VDJ doesn't receive button presses, etc.)

When it happens, try going into Config -> Remote Control and untick Enable in the DAC-1/DAC-2/DAC-3 section (To disable it) and then tick it again. See if the DAC-3 starts responding again.

One possibility is USB bandwidth - With the XP10's I experienced problems with these stopping responding when hooked up to a USB hub shared with Maya44 soundcard and Evolution UC-16. They worked fine when plugged into their own hub on a separate USB port on the laptop (Other equipment connected to another hub on port 2.)

With the DAC-3, I have it directly connected to a USB port on my laptop, and all the other equipment plugged into a USB 2.0 hub.

Also, do you have the PCDJ MIDI drivers installed? If so, remove them (They are not required, and MIDI OX can cause problems on XP machines.)

geposted Thu 22 Dec 05 @ 9:22 pm
You are using v3.2 of VDJ I assume?!

geposted Sat 24 Dec 05 @ 1:20 pm
My final post on this topic.....

I kept the Dac 3 for one more day. I tried to get it working, but I could NOT fix the problem. Returning the DAC 3 was an easy decision. Not only was it NOT working properly with my desktop, but my backup laptop was experiencing the same issue.

I have 4 USB 2.0 ports on my motherboard, one usb 2.0 pci card with 4 ports. The only item connected was the dac 3 and it still stopped responding in two way mode.

I even had the same problem with PCDJ FX and my laptop, not just with VDJ 3.2.

The porpose of my post was to let others know that there is an important problem that should be recitfied. Good luck to those who get the DAC 3 working. I consider myself an expert in computers, solving hardware conflics, and I could not come up with an answer to the DAC 3. I've been building computers for over a decade, and could not get the DAC 3 to work with my 3 systems, VDJ 3.2, or PCDJ FX.

Those who are successfully using the DAC 3, please POST your computer specs. Include operating system and service pack. Those who are considering the DAC 3 will certainly benefit from you input.

Thanks again & Merry Christmas.

The Premier DJ
Jose

geposted Sat 24 Dec 05 @ 5:21 pm
It's obvious yours is an issue with your hard/software combo, not the DAC itself..

Maybe you install something on your systems (by default) tha conflicts with the DAC.. As you have returned it the point is moot, but did you try doing a backup, installing a cleans and fresh copy of XP, al relevant (hardware) drivers and trying that?

geposted Sat 24 Dec 05 @ 11:01 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
basicly happy fucking christmasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss lol . if its still causing you problems then its to do with how you haveit settup not its own fault. the DAC - 3 cant jump out and fix your computers problems its reliant on you having a proper system, sony sytems have tons of sony background shite running on them, truy getting rit of that and see what happens. it may be that you never know.......................... ITS CHRISMASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs DAY

geposted Sun 25 Dec 05 @ 3:04 am
What I think, dunno how much USB devices u have hooked up to your system's, is that if you use too much USB ports at the same time you could experience a bandwith problem. Also it could be driver conflict, I have encountered so manny driver conflict's thru the years of windows. U could try a native Linux boot cd and see what happends there, no hardrive install needed. Maybe that gives another thought on ya issue.

Since u have so manny hardware, dunno if that is all hooked up into one place and all working at the same time, but power consumption could also be an issue, specially, dunno how to say in english, when ya use European connectors, earth hooked up or not.

Just some thought's on the issue. Just wanted to help out to solve ya problem, I know it's a major pain when ya get some new gear and it doesn't works as aspected, it's a pain. But no need to shout, manny among has good gear systems, where ohters believe they have something solid ;o)

Happy Christmas to ya aswell and maybe a tip :

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-KAY-DVL2020.html

DJ Superstom works with it and it seems to work nice, maybe an alternative option for ya :o)

geposted Sun 25 Dec 05 @ 3:15 am
I have no problem with the DAC 3. I like it and it does all i expect it to do besides control my lights. I dont have a problem with it.

MY COMPUTER SPECs:

Packard Bell
16mb ram
2gig hard drive
windows 3.1
track ball mouse
standard keyboard
13" monitor
1watt pc speakers built into the monitor
and a logitech 4000 webcam.
usb pci 2.0

This is my pc specs jose the dj.

geposted Tue 10 Jan 06 @ 7:15 pm
are you mixing midi files ??? lol

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 11:20 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)