Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: TCV Setup Questions

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

Hi, hopefully the retailer I've ordered the HDJC2 from will receive stock of the unit and ship it to me in the next week, I've been waiting impatiently for a while now :)

In the meantime I've been wondering how the TCV setup will work. Eventually I plan to get a laptop which will make everything easy, but until then my PC is currently about 4m away from my turntables. This in itself shouldn't cause a problem because I can get long enough phono cables to connect from my turntables to the HDJC2 although obviously the ground cable wouldn't be able to stretch this far, could I not just attach it to one of the metal phono connectors?

The main thing I want to do for now is setup the system where I will be able to use both TCV and normal Vinyl. My mixer has two channels but four inputs (two pairs of line and two pairs of phono). I plan to buy two pairs of RCA Stackable leads; my turntables will plug in to the connector which will then plug into my mixer; the turntables will also be grounded to my mixer. The remaining part of the cable (i.e. the split section) will then plug into the HDJC2 via an RCA extension cable. The last part would be to attach another pair of RCA cables from the HDJC2 into the line input of my mixer.

These are the items:
http://www.auto-connect.co.uk/acatalog/Autoconnect_Audio_leads_196.html#a105_2e560
http://www.auto-connect.co.uk/acatalog/Autoconnect_Audio_leads_196.html#a104_2e803
http://www.auto-connect.co.uk/acatalog/Autoconnect_Audio_leads_196.html#a105_2e959

My mixer is the Numark DXM03 Digital Mixer and has a switch the seamlessly switch between line and phono. Does anyone see any problems this setup may cause? Also would grounding my turntables to my mixer affect the quality of the TCV functionality? Would it even work?

Looking forward to your answers :)

Thanks, Andrew.

geposted Wed 11 Jan 06 @ 11:32 pm
Hi Andrew. Are you in the UK? If you are and your turntables are mains powered then they will be grounded. The mixer to tt's will be screened as with the cable from your pc. It wouldn't be a good idea electrically to connect a ground to the external casing of the phonos You could end up with mains hum. The other thing to watch for is that the cables are low impedance. Otherwise over the distance you talk about the voltage drop on such a small signal will degrade the sound quality. The rest unfortunately, I will have to leave to tother guys as I know nought about it.

Nikki

geposted Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 2:23 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
what i did for the the ground for my turntables is take a wire long enough to reach the pc, strip the ends off and just twist one end on the gorunds and other the pc case

geposted Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 2:42 pm
I am from the UK and my tt's are mains powered but there is still a grounding cable which is currently attached to my mixer. If I get problems I will try that wire connected to my computer case method suggested by listen2. I think the TCV / normal vinyl method I posted above should work, just need to order the cables, and wait for the HDJC2 to arrive of course! I'll see if I can get low impedance cables although depending on the cost I may just risk getting the above cables.

geposted Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 5:11 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Andrew87,

Some phono cartridges are grounded in the way you mention. But if their are not I think is because they was not design to be used that way.

The ground must be conected to the device witch is conected, in case of TCVs: the computer case. Is better if your PC (or laptop) is with standard lenght cables and not 4m cables, but you could do some test to be sure works fine in the two ways.

Good Luck!

geposted Fri 13 Jan 06 @ 6:48 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)