Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 2 vga outputs - which to use?

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
After a bit of head scratching, I've bought a new video card for vdj, a GeForce fx 5200, which has a DVI output socket, plus a seperate VGA output. I have a DVI-VGA convertor with it, so effectively I have a choice of two VGA sockets. Rather than use the TV-out to feed the projector, I use a standalone VGA to S Video/composite convertor, as they tend to be less tempramental than TV out sockets in my experience. So here I am with two VGA plugs in my hand - one for my PC screen, the other for the video projector. Which plug should I stick into which socket? I'm guessing the DVI socket is the one with most of the graphical power, so should I run the full screen video from this one? Obviously I'm after maximum performance and stability, so what's the best way of setting this up? Once again, any help will be much appreciated!

John

geposted Fri 17 Mar 06 @ 8:46 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I would use the DVI output for the computer's screen and the other output for the video projector.

geposted Fri 17 Mar 06 @ 9:36 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Didn't have a lot of choice in which card to use - my system's built into a homemade case, and it's very tight for space in there, and it turns out the card I originally wanted wouldn't fit, I ended up going for this one simply because it had two outputs and fitted in the case! Yeah, it's a bit slow, but I'm only using it to play divx's through...

I was surprised to be told that the DVI output is best for the main system screen, while the analogue out is best for the projector, I'd have thought the DVI socket had all the graphic power behind it, and so would be better suited for full screen video. I tried it both ways, and sure enough, using the DVI for the video, it ran like a bag of crap! Running the video via a vga-composite convertor box, video playback is smooth, as are the transitions, and VDJ appears to be happy.

Fingers crossed though, I'll be trying it out in front of a crowd of around 1200 on wednesday night - the proof of the pudding is in the eating! :-)

geposted Mon 20 Mar 06 @ 1:22 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)