Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Preliminary Observations about V4

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I don't see such a post yet, so I thought I'd start one to detail what I'm thinking of V4 thus far.

I like how the new skin looks, but IMHO, it's a little low contrast. Probably good for low light environments, which DJs are usually in anyways. I like how each side has its own coloring. I think that skinning for V4 will be much more flexible, and I'm looking forward to experimenting with that, making a skin that can take advantage of the new features of V4.

One thing that is going to be a problem is that you apparently don't (yet) have any options when you have no video... what happened to my visual plugins, or the option to do a photo slideshow? These features have been removed? I was somewhat dependent on these things, so that's too bad.

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 8:25 pm
Oh god... all my audio files sound like complete and utter distorted crap now... just sounds extremely distorted...

I'm not sure what I did... a minute ago it sounded good, then I switched all the AAC extensions over to Windows Media Player General Decoder, and now it's not so good.

Ah... It was because I had a low latency soundcard selected, and I guess that didn't work so good. Strangely, it worked fine for about 30 min that way.

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 8:45 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
all the video plugins are now under the video effects, alternatly u can type the word slideshow , or whatever plugin u want to turn on when theres no video or karaoke (in the config/video tab)

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 8:48 pm
Djderricke started a similar thread actually, at: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/54270/General_Discussion/4_0_First_Impressions___.html

So far all I've had time to do is download and install VDJ 4.0... Haven't tried actually mixing with it at all yet, but noticed right away that the program starts up faster! And the interface looks a little cleaner, easier to read... I like how the default skin has been simplified, so it doesn't look so cluttered... Still though, I'll stick to the skin I was using (Pioneer 700) because it has the option to turn off the waveform :) Do the new skins have this option? I haven't had a chance to check... I don't like using the waveform, because I find it distracts me from the music more than it helps...

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 8:59 pm
thats real easy to add into the skins xml

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 9:01 pm
How do you do it?

I also desired to have a skin that does not have BPM's displayed (to train my ear), so I went through the skin xml file and deleted all references to "BPM"... Is it something along those lines for the waveform as well?

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 9:32 pm
just delete anyting between <rhythm> and </rhythm>
if you also want to remove the songpos wave u can find that under each channel <songpos>

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 9:36 pm
Here's another pretty significant issue:

When I do almost anything (like switch decks, move a fader, etc.) it causes crackling and distortion in the audio. Has anyone else noticed this?

Maybe that quality slider has something to do with this....

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 11:15 pm
try taking the overclock feature off

geposted Thu 24 Aug 06 @ 11:17 pm
I think I can get the sound a bit better, but never perfect. It's pretty disappointing. I always hear crackling in the background, especially in faint parts of the song. I've already tried setting all quality settings as low as they go, and increasing my ASIO buffer to the max.

Another disappointment is that very little has improved of the problems I've had with video playback, where there's a glitch at the beginning, and it won't play the first little bit of the audio (like about a second or two).

geposted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 6:34 am
I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I used it one whole night without any crashes! That better than 3.4 usually did when doing video/karaoke DJing!

If the stability is enhanced, that alone is worth inconvenience that other changes might cause for the time being.

geposted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 8:56 am
Hi, I had that problem with a glitch in the audio at the start of videos. For me it was only with Divx videos. I think i solved it by changing the codec for .avi files to the windows media video decoder.

geposted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 1:32 pm
take the overclock feature off and turn on hardware acclelerator and move performace tab last to your best setting and then JUST MIX.... IT's awesome!

geposted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 1:36 pm
antileon & valentinedj, I've already tried those things, but I still get subtle crackling.

If I didn't set the performance options to a lower quality & lower CPU utilization, I get BAD crackling and distortion. (I need 512 samples of buffer, which is much more than usual). That's really too bad that I can't make it completely crystal clear... but maybe the distortion is caused by something else that I've overlooked. Maybe I'm just picky and have listened closer than other users? Maybe it's just a fluke and VirtualDJ 4, My Computer, and the M-Audio Delta 410 don't get along?

It's not too terrible... you can only hear it with headphones in quiet parts of the song, but it's troubling. Still, the quality is much better than 3.4's crap resampling on DVDs.

geposted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 6:36 pm
I am using the same soundcard without an issue. What kind of video card are you using? What are your specs? What is the computer running at? Maybe adjust your buffer setting on the card itself. I had to adjust a bit first. I think I am running at 256.

geposted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 8:55 pm
The video card is a Radeon 9200... not exactly a stellar card, but I don't really have problems with video playback. With Sonique running, video can be a bit jerky, I suppose, but I'm not sure how this relates to audio crackles... The computer is a bit underpowered perhaps. It's an Athlon XP 2500+ with 512 MB of RAM. I really oughta scrap it and build a new one... Intel Core 2 Duo anyone? I wonder if I can convince a tightwad bar owner to spring for a $2,000 computer upgrade?

Of course, I'd be pissed if it doesn't even fix this :P

geposted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 9:17 pm
@Supacon

I'm using an Athlon 3200+ with a gig of memory, and I notice some visuals will eat up near %100 of the CPU, so that will affect your video playback. As far as getting your bar owner to pony up the money, get him to view the purchase as an investment. Be sure to throw in there that he won't have to spend anymore money on the computer for a least another 2-3 years. (Maybe) Owners like to hear that the things they buy will last. Also mention the tax write off if you are in the US of A.

geposted Sat 26 Aug 06 @ 12:15 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)