Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Laptop Requirements

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I am planning to purchase a Laptop, without breaking the bank. I am buying it online so it HAS to work (can't return it). I currently run videos on VDJ on a rackmount system. I want to know what parts on a laptop are most important to run video, minimum requirements, suggested requirements, etc. I tried on a HP Pavillion dv6040us, but it didn't cut it at all. It has a duo 1.6 GHz, nvidia 7200. I know there are other threads that talk about this, but I was wondering if someone could lay it all on the table. Some questions are

1) Does brand matter?
2) What are the best video cards? (nvidia vs. ATI)
3) What are the best processors? (Intel vs. AMD, Duo Core vs. single, What's the deal with the Intel M)
4) Any other important factors that make video run well.

Could I get by with a machine that has:

1) Duo-Core 1.8 GHz processor (is a 2.0 GHz much better)
2) ATI x1300 or better (is a x1600 much better) & (Which nvidia cards work best, please be specific)

Also, if anyone has recently found a good deal online, that runs video well, please let me know.

geposted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 5:37 pm
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
K first off, i suggest 1GB ram as a MUST have.

For your processor, Core-duo or Core2-duo should cut it, else the new Turion 64 X2 from AMD. Get the 1.8, you prob won't notice a difference between it and the 2.0.
I'm geussing that HP had an older P4 dual core? Core is a lot better...

Brands could matter, just don't get anything that you have not heard of or is not well known. Stick to the popular brands.

For video cards, make sure you get a midrange or higher series. ATI vs nvidia is not a factor to consider, as both are good. The midrange includes the 6600, 7600, x600, x1600.
The entry levels, being the 6200, 6300, 6400, 7200, 7300, 7400, x300, x1300, x1400, suck a lot more compared to the midrange, anyone with a 6600GT can tell you that.

The 6600GT is a good card for VDJ, and afaik, nvidia works better with VDJ?? Prob not, but it mentions on the min specs page somewhere... Not sure if you get the GT version for laptop though, else 7600 is a good choice.

Make sure you get a video card that has DEDICATED ram allocated for it, as chipset / integrated video cards strain the CPU a bit more, and use up ram. You can tell if its a chipset card by looking at the laptop specs.

Im not sure what combinations you can get with the processor though...
Need any more help?

geposted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 5:54 pm
Thank-you very much for the info. It is VERY helpful. If I have any more questions I will post them. Thanks again.

Kris

geposted Fri 25 Aug 06 @ 11:47 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)