Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: AGC Control and master Levels, too many headphones

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

I'm using VDJ 3.x as bundled with the Hercules MK2 and use it to Internet Broadcast in a 'virtual' nightclub. Yes, it sounds silly, but that's the application that I bought this for. Let me explain my environment a bit so you all have a bigger picture...

VDJ is configured to direct stream to a Shoutcast server at 96Kbps, using the LAME encoder. I have the MK2's output going into an amplifier via RCA jacks so I can hear the program (including talk over). Unfortunately, setting the MK2's Cue to 'Mix' only plays the deck feeds, it does not add in the Mic feed, hence the need for the external amp. (Upside, there, I can really crank up the master out!). My microphone is an entry level Shure Vocal microphone. I am setup for dual screen on the player PC - one screen for VDJ, the other for Hercules console, Napster, etc...

A separate computer is setup to listen to the stream so that I can preview the program as delivered to my listeners. This is important as I am playing in a Live virtual environment and need to directly interact with my audience. There is a considerable amount of delay when shoutcast streaming, I find you're usually 8 to 10 seconds 'ahead' of what your listeners hear.

I'm having a couple of challenges, and am fishing for some ideas. Anything you can do to help would be very much appreciated.

Issue 1: my stream lacks punch, listeners find that the overall volume level of the stream is significantly lower than other streams. I have AGC set to +0.

Issue 2: I'm having difficulties getting my talk-overs to 'punch through' the music, even when 'eating' the mic and the pot all the way up. I believe this is directly attributable to my AGC being set to +0.

Issue 3: I have 3 sets of headphones....one for Cue, One for Master Out (off the Amp), and one for Program (off the stream receiver PC). I want to reduce this to one set...

So, lets talk about AGC. What VDJ 3x misses, and I didn't see this in the feature list for 4.x either, is a set of 'Master' VU meters. Is there a plugin or something of the sort that would allow me to visually see the Master levels for both decks and Microphone. Maybe a separate piece of software that graphically monitors sound card output? This would allow me to simply disable AGC and use the sliders and mic pot to control my levels.

My only other option would be to patch the output into one the Line In of one of my Linux boxes, and use the JACK Audio connection kit to 'patch' the sound card output into their set of VU meters and configure the stream client on that, but this adds yet another computer to the studio and increases the complexity somewhat. And yes, another possible option would be to patch the MK2 into a 'real' broadcast console or battle mixer and drive the microphone from the real console. A software solution, however, would be my preference...

As to the juggling headphones problem, anybody know of any good internet resources for a headphone 'switch' or mixer, that would allow me to patch the 3 sound sources into a single set of headphones?

Hopefully you all will have some ideas....

Thanks,

-a.

geposted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 2:14 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hi which virtual club?

1. Try boosting the gain to those channels

2. try changing the db on the talk over section of the mk2 console until you can hear your self better

3. you cant put two pcs into one set of headphones with out a mixer such as http://www.zzounds.com/item--RLLHA43

, so it might be difficult
u can as u have the mk2 however put the cue and the main program sound into one set via the mk2 headphone port select headphones in the sound output menu

thats what the selector dial on the front is for

to get a whole load more features and tweaks

you should concider upgrading to v4.1r2 pro

hope that helps

Skyfxl

Dj

geposted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 2:22 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)