Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Crash after 5hrs - Page: 3

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
44 degrees from the cpu core is not hot at all. That shouldn't be a problem.

Along with the good advice above, I'd suggest doing a thorough RAM test. An alarming percentage of RAM sticks are faulty, and you'd never know with normal use. Too many of us (I've been one of them) are conditioned to say "Microsoft sucks so my machine crashes" or "Game X is crap and crashes" when in reality it is a faulty RAM stick.

There's a reason why some RAM is 2 or 3 times the cost of the budget, generic stuff.

geposted Wed 02 Mar 05 @ 6:00 pm
well if your going to be changing the video card make sure that the onboard vid card is disabled so that it will not take up any ressources for nothing. the CPU temp seems fine although I would also check to see if you have any power managment options enabled.

I normally just disable the power managment for such reasons although on my system I have the option of turning off my system if the CPU reaches a certain temperature (I set it to MAX 75C).

My system runs on average at 45-60C This is caused due to not having a good cooling system in my case.

You can check out the power managment options in the BIOS to see if there is anything there that would show signs of why the PC would either freeze up or shutdown automaticly.

DJ White Devil

geposted Wed 02 Mar 05 @ 6:02 pm
myselfPRO InfinityMember since 2004
First of all thanks for your input!

I'm glad the cpu isn't running too hot. I will also check the power management in the Bios settings, not sure what I'm looking for but will see if anything is obvious!

The graphics card I wanted to test was a PCI card (there aren't any PCI slots available in my small form factor PC cube), so I am going to buy a cheap AGP card tomorrow and test it then.
I will try and look for some RAM testing software tonight so I can check that. Having opened the case it's crucial DDR RAM. I have 1gig. Did I mention that the device manager window shows 'No conflicts' although they share IRQ16.
I ran VDJ on my home PC (onboard sound & geforce graphics card) with no sharing IRQ's on automix and the same on my DJPC. When I went back after 4hrs, the DJPC had crashed and my home PC was still running, it ran for 12 hrs without a hitch!! So i do know that it's my setup and not VDJ (I love the program), I just want to sort it out, but it does sound like I'm getting on the right track (with the IRQ graphics and soundblaster card sharing), so thanks for your help (DJ WhiteDevil and Co.). Craig.

geposted Wed 02 Mar 05 @ 7:47 pm
IRQ sharing may or may not be causing the crash although they "can" be "the" issue or part of the problem.

There are many factors that take place and can make a system crash. one big issue is if its after exactly 5 hours of work "everytime" then I would first look at the obvious and look at the power managment to see if there's any option set to shutdown anything after a set period of time (ie:5 hours or how ever long it takes for the problem to start). afterwards it can be MANY things to consider.

Here is a list of things to consider looking for: Viruses (try running an anti-virus scan with AVG or kaspersky anti-virus those are better then MCAFFEE and Norton),Spyware, CPU heat, IRQ conflicts, an application that starts at a certain time (ie: virus scan that starts at a certain time), corrupted files, a bug in the actual software,...

As you can see there are many things that can go wrong somewhere along the line and is very hard to troublshoot.

DJ White Devil

geposted Wed 02 Mar 05 @ 9:01 pm
I have it running again now and will see it long it lasts. It's coming up to 4hrs, so may crash soon. It's very strange that a) I can still move the mouse pointer across the screen, b)I can press ctrl,alt,del and VDJ is still running, c) Open up another program without shutting off VDJ i.e. Explorer etc. d) Clsoe VDJ doubleclick the VDJ icon on the desktop and use it again from scratch (no error messages or anyhting). When I do close VDJ (purely because no sound is playing, the decks have stopped spinning and the waveform has stopped moving, but the song tiltle moves left to right) its says 'Music is still playing are you sure you want to quit?' Very strange. This PC has never been connected to the internet, so there shouldn't be any spyware, everything i put on it is scanned with Trend Pc-Cillin which I use on my home PC, so hopefully no viruses. So bit by bit I'm eliminating things, hopefully it will fall into place soon, I'll keep you posted - for my sake!!! :) Thanks.

geposted Thu 03 Mar 05 @ 12:15 am
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
don't forget viruses on a cd-rom.....
i have burned many cd-roms virusfree...but after a fiew months is was telling me that there where viruses on the cd-rom.

but i don't think that's the reason.
i think it's a cpu thing.

geposted Thu 03 Mar 05 @ 7:42 am
Sorry im a bit late on this one ....normal temp after 5hrs+ should be about 50
Make sure it stays cool,this was the source of my problems last year
Andre

geposted Thu 03 Mar 05 @ 11:42 am
:( :( :(
Done a 21st birthday party on Friday - crashed - same problems - sound stopped!

Bought a new 64mb AGP graphics card. Inserted it on Saturday morning.
Checked IRQ settings etc and noticed that it removed the VIA onboard graphics from IRQ16 and left the Soundblaster card on IRQ16. Great no shared IRQ!!! The new AGP card had moved to an I/O address instead.

Done a 40th birthday party on Saturday night - crashed!!! :(

The CPU temp is below 50!
I don't know what else I can do to sort this out now!!! Getting really miffed by it!
Anyone, any more suggestions?
Craig

geposted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 1:34 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Well very strange your thing. So my idea even stupid:
do you have a screensaver on or windows decide to stop (switch off) the hard disk as it thinks it's useless. Try to see the temperature of hard disk. How much memory of cache (processor and hard disk)? Increase virtual memory in winxp

i know if a hard disk it's too hot, data can't be transfered so it freezes maybe all the problem is here: your hard disk is dead

Otherwise i'm sorry for you

geposted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 2:04 pm
Thanks DJCel,
I have two internal hard drives. I have VDJ installed and all mp3s stored on the same drive. Therefore if I install them all on to the other hard disk and the same happens then I can eliminate the hard drive failure. I have screen saver disabled. My cache is 484mb. I will try this tonight.

geposted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 2:22 pm
What is this running in the back ground and what does it do?

raid_tool.exe 3,328K (it sits on my toolbar at the bottom)

Could this have anything to do with my problems(clutching at straws)??????

geposted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 4:17 pm
well that is probably software that is needed to make sure your hard drives are running as RAID.

if you want you can try ending this process and see if the crash goes away.

or if you are not using a RAID system just uninstall that application.

DJ White Devil

geposted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 4:27 pm
I have no idea whether or not I am using a raid system.

I tried this last night;
Put all my mp3s on to the secondary internal hard disk and left the VDJ program on the master hard disk (both are 120gb). I also made some extra tweeks from the windows xp tweaks web site, which I have no idea what they do!! I then ran VDJ on automix. Eight hours later I checked it and it was still running!!! I came back 9 hours later and it had crashed, same symtpoms etc. So, I have managed to get a bit longer out of it, but this may be a freak occurence, hopefully not though. It is running now at home and I will see how long it lasts. I really want to have full confidence in it before my next gig (18th March). Thanks to everyone who has helped me and please if you think of anything else please let me know. Craig

geposted Wed 09 Mar 05 @ 2:05 pm
Me again. Just to keep you updated - for my sake!!

I have now put VDJ program onto the secondary internal hd, so now only windows XP is on the primary hd. Ran VDJ on automix from 6pm last night and this morning at 7am it was still running, no crash! Thats 13hrs!!!!!! Great. I have now switched it off. DJCel you suggested a hard disk running hot, sounds like this could be it finally!! Thanks. Although I will keep rigorously testing it all on the secondary hd, and if it still works ok I will put everything back to the primary hard disk and if it crashes then, I will know for sure that the disk is kaputt!!
Again, thanks to everyone involved in this thread!! You stopped me going mad and throwing the software away!!!! :) :)

geposted Thu 10 Mar 05 @ 12:25 pm
Well i was helped by something: i believe in Virtual DJ and i know to make the difference between Virtual DJ bugs, Windows bugs and Hardware bugs by experience
How? Same computer since 1997 so i have known all the problems. I like PC :-)

geposted Thu 10 Mar 05 @ 5:54 pm
OK, I moved all tracks to secondary hd inc. program and ran it continuously with no probs for 24hrs!!
I then ran the program on the secondary hd and used the tracks from the primary hd and it crashed after 5hrs!! Therefore it IS a hd issue. However the disk states that it's fine and there are no problems.

Is it a requirement for VDJ program to be run on a separate hd or partition than the tracks?

Especially when playing for long periods. Thanks.

geposted Sat 12 Mar 05 @ 6:50 pm
No i have all version: one version with two hd,one version with one hd and two partitions, one version with one hd and one partition. No problem with all that. But of course the best is 2 hd , question of access to hd

geposted Sat 12 Mar 05 @ 7:49 pm
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
You may not be monitoring this post anymore, but in case you do, try either a hard drive cooler, if space permits, or an external 2.0 usb hard drive (hopefully you have usb 2.0 ports).

geposted Mon 21 Nov 05 @ 5:16 am

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)