Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Timecodes Not Reading anymore - Page: 1

Dieser Teil des Themas ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten

** This was previously posted in the PC Tech Support page, with no responses, and I then realized it belonged in this area. I apologize for the double thread! I need reponses to determine if I should return the package and exchange it or not**

This past Wednesday I received my copy of "Virtual Vinyl" in the mail, and I installed it to my computer. At that time I had ONE Technics SL-1200mk2 turntable, and so I started playing around with a single timecode, with no problems in the setup. I was in the market for another table, and I stumbled across two more SL-1200mk2 for a great price so I bought those tables which are in better condition, and disconnected the original one.

Now when I set up my new SL-1200mk2's to the soundcard and try to configure the timecode vinyls, there is no 0% signal on the setup window.... BUT, when I tried the same on my laptop, I got a shaky signal from both tables (jumps around from 30% to 100% and dosnt give a clean sounding signal. Also, when I play a song with the input set to "2 timecodes", but in the "off" position on the main console, the songs are playing at lightning speed and can't be understood, but when the input is set to "none" then the songs play properly, but obviously without the timecode control.

I've checked the cartridges, and they are clean and correct. The Grounds are connected, and everything is plugged in properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have a concert I am mixing at in a few weeks and I need to get my mix down solid before-hand.

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 1:13 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
which cartridges do you use?

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 4:54 am
I'm using the cartridges that came with the new tables, Numark CS-1's i believe. When I had my older table set-up for the single code, I was using my Stanton 505

Here's a pic of the waveform:

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 9:48 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
take a pic of the souncard settings?

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 1:56 pm
Its the Virtual Vinyl soundcard. If that has its own settings, i have no idea where they are

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 2:03 pm

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 2:14 pm
Thanks again for the sugguestion regarding the Ortofon cartridges.

I'm still confused as to why the setup worked fine before I added a second table. I've tried to go back to the settings that I had then, but no luck. I even used the old table with the old cartridge connected the way it was previously, to no avail.

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 2:23 pm
FaultPRO InfinityMember since 2007
A suggestion, did this at my work (we have VDJ pro with time code), did you have your timecoded vinyls playing when u pulled up the TCV config? If not i suggest u do then press auto config

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 3:18 pm
I dont think it matters what needle he is using because there is NO signal at all. Something is not setup correctly.

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 3:29 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Can u play TCCD? Or this only happen with TCV?

Check ur rca cable, maybe it a bad ones.

Also i suspect as Listen2 mentioned, it may be down to ur setting.

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 3:32 pm
As of this point in time, i only mix with vinyl. I don't have CDJs to test out the TCCDs with

I'm starting to think the soundcard is faulty because I KNOW it is set-up correctly. Has something like this happened in the past to anyone else?

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 4:39 pm
listen2 wrote :
I dont think it matters what needle he is using because there is NO signal at all. Something is not setup correctly.

There is a slight peak of signal on both decks,

Try reinstalling the Card Go into the Device manager it should be under sounds , video and games controlers , unplug the card right click on it in device manger and choose uninstall then insert your VV setup disk then plug the box back in.

If you have a mp3 player or a general cd player you could try playing the signal into the card to see if it is detected.

A reinstall of the Virtual Vinyl software would probably be a good idea also.

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 4:45 pm
I think I've concluded that the problem is a hardware issue within the soundcard. Since this problem has started, the timecode was completely unreadable by the desktop computer, and partially (with very poor sound quality) with my laptop. I put one of the TCCDs into my Playstation and connected it to the soundcard. Still no signal on the desktop, but I got a distorted wave form (much like what I was seeing with the TCV on the laptop so far). The number still read 0% but at least I know it's nothing to do with the cartridges or the turntables.

I am going to re-install the software AND hardware on both computers and if that dosn't fix it, then I am going to have to send the package back to the place I got it and exchange it. I have used Virtual DJ for about a year now, and as such I want to stick with Virtual Vinyl, but if this problem persists, I think I'll end up trying Serato (since the soundcard works with VDJ/Cue anyway)

I'll keep the updates coming

geposted Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 9:40 pm
Update:

I fixed the problem by excanging my copy of the Virtual Vinyl package. This was about 3 days after my last post. The setup has worked perfectly since then UNTIL NOW. I just spun at a concert 2 days ago, and everything worked perfectly untill I returned home with my equipment. I didn't set everything up again untill today, and upon setting up again, the timecodes wern't reading YET AGAIN.

The soundcard was not plugged in when I turned on the computer, and so I plugged it in again and opened up Virtual Vinyl assuming it would be in regular working condition. When I went to the timecode config, the same symptoms as before occoured. The waveform is identical, and un-installing and re-installing everything has not solved my problem. I am going to try one more time, this time leaving everything connected during the un-intstall process to see if somehow that fixes everything. I may end up trying on a friends computer to determine again if it is the soundcard YET AGAIN.

geposted Mon 28 Apr 08 @ 3:13 pm
I feel your pain man. You would have been better getting the audo8 from native instruments & a copy of vdj pro instead. Hope you get this sorted:)

geposted Mon 28 Apr 08 @ 6:09 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'm not familiar with the Virtual Vinyl soundcard but I know with the Maya 44 I need to reinstall the driver constantly. The symptoms are similar in that I get no TC Signal until I reinstall the drivers.

geposted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 9:47 am
skyfxl wrote :

the CS1 is a good all round cartridge but you will have better results in this case , with a set of DIGI TRACKS.
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/carts_styli/ortofon/concorde_digitrack

Just a side note about this:
Honestly, the DigiTracks are a marketing gag. Don`t get me wrong, i went the whole time of my life with Ortofon Concorde systems but really, the DigiTracks are totally overpriced. They have an output power of 8mV which is just 2mV more as the well known "DJ E" (the blue ones). If you need systems with a real high output i can recommend the "Q-Bert" with 11mV or "Elektro" with 7.5mV. The difference: You will save around 10 or 20 Euro/System.

geposted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 4:30 pm
Super-PRO InfinityMember since 2007
ciacomix wrote :
skyfxl wrote :

the CS1 is a good all round cartridge but you will have better results in this case , with a set of DIGI TRACKS.
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/carts_styli/ortofon/concorde_digitrack

Just a side note about this:
Honestly, the DigiTracks are a marketing gag. Don`t get me wrong, i went the whole time of my life with Ortofon Concorde systems but really, the DigiTracks are totally overpriced. They have an output power of 8mV which is just 2mV more as the well known "DJ E" (the blue ones). If you need systems with a real high output i can recommend the "Q-Bert" with 11mV or "Elektro" with 7.5mV. The difference: You will save around 10 or 20 Euro/System.

Same like is Ortofon DJ-S equivalent to Ortofon Scratch needles.
I cannot even believe that someone suggested buying another pickups is the solution.
And for the end I can say my Q-Berts are absolutely the best needles I ever had!! It's output is amasing. My serato almost never sees that red under grey signal warning for the buffer while I spin.

geposted Tue 29 Apr 08 @ 7:03 pm
This situation gets worse and worse. Yesterday I bought a new laptop as I needed it to do another gig. My old laptop is too old and slow to run Virtual Vinyl, so I bought a second laptop (Compaq F755US: 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, AMD Dual 1.9Ghz) for the sole use of installing NOTHING but Virtual Vinyl on it to avoid any software conflicts. The new laptop had windows vista home permium loaded on it. I installed the software and setup the soundcard with no problems as all. I tried everything in my room before the gig and it worked flawlessly.

About an hour later, after shutting down everything properly and taking my turntables, speakers, and everything else to the venue, I set-up everything the exact same way. SOMEHOW, upon reconnecting everything, the BRAND NEW computer was unable to recognize that the soundcard was plugged into the computer at all. I was forced to do the entire gig off of my iPod, and SOMEHOW managed to still get paid.

I am very computer savvy, and I hate windows Vista to begin with so today I uninstalled Vista from the new laptop and installed XP Pro. I'll say again, the only things installed on the laptop are Virtual Vinyl, the drivers to run all the laptop's hardware, and the Virtual Vinyl soundcard.

... same symptoms as before. I am at a complete loss of words. The soundcard seems to be the root of all these problems. When I INITIALLY installed it on my Desktop and the new laptop it worked perfectly. When I disconnected it to re-connect later at a different location, the computer is unable to read the soundcards signal.

On a final note, I spent about an hour last week on the phone with a very helpful person from Numark's support team. He helped me troubleshoot the lack of connectivity on my desktop, and when everything else failed, he sugguested that I try getting a new USB 2.0 card for my desktop to see it that would work. That did not solve the problem. I just want to document that here so Numark has some frame of refrence with this issue.

I'm nearly fed up with this hardware. I now know that it is not a software conflict with another program, nor is it a lack of the correct hardware on my computers (it worked on all 3 computers for some period of time), nor is it incorrect connections on the soundcard. This issue is either the software itself or the soundcard is crap. I absolutely love the Virtual DJ/Cue software and I'd like to continue using it, but if I am unable to find a solution that will allow me to do so, then it's off to jump on the Serato bandwagon I go.

---------------

I just realized that I still have 2 days in which to return my product and get something else. I need some sugguestions on what to exchange for. I would like to get ONE of the following:

- An ASIO soundcard in the $400-$500 range that is proven to be reliable with timecode vinyl set-ups
- Serato Scratch Live package as I know the Serato soundcard DOES work with Virtual DJ/Cue and if worse comes to worse, I just need to install Serato software and start from there

Any help/sugguestions from anyone reading this would be greatly appreciated! Especially from Numark Staff!

geposted Wed 07 May 08 @ 3:19 pm
that is very odd, i would suspect it has to be the hardware, I'd hate to see you spend all sorts of money to make things happen for you. HAve you ever thought of buying a maya 44 just to fool around with and see if it works any better? Maybe its a bad batch of VV soundcards?

geposted Wed 07 May 08 @ 3:28 pm
45%