Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Pitch fluctuations

Dieses Thema ist veraltet und kann veraltete oder falsche Informationen enthalten.

All right, well, I've mentioned this in another thread, but only briefly.

I really like Virtual DJ, and I would pick it over the other two I am also looking at (Serato and Traktor). I've gotten to use Serato and Traktor in the store, but they don't even have Virtual DJ. So, I ordered a timecode vinyl for an exorbitant price (considering the SSL TCVs are only $10, and they're available at almost any DJ shop), dusted off my bro's maya44usb (hehe, he thought he was gonna record guitar and drums), and downloaded my Virtual DJ trial.
The timecode CD works great, I used my 1 CD player to control both decks until my TCV came. The only problem is that as soon as the TCV came, I slapped it on the deck, and it didn't work right. It started fluctuating a lot, not just like +/-.1%, (I've got an SL1210 MK5 and an MK2), it was more around +/-1 bpm. I already had two vinyl decks, so yeah, I can mix vinyl, so I figured the flaw must be in the way I set up the software (since serato and traktor didn't do this in the shop).
I've tried both Shure Whitelabel and M44-7's on the timecodes, and they both produced these beautiful ellipses (I think they're phase trajectories? I'm not sure how the whole timecode system works exactly... I mean, I know what I've read on every website, it's a sequence or sth that gets converted to timedata). They were like the circles produced by the TCCD, but stretched out at 4 and 10 o'clock. (I can take a screeny if you want).
I read that the soundcard didn't have preamps, so I decided I'd put my old mixer to use. Fed the TT into the old mixer's phono in, master out to the soundcard, then re-auto-configured and this was the result:

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/2021/08162008184139qp0.png
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/707/08162008184131kn4.png

^What does that mean?
It clearly says "Timecode Quality 100%" but it's all over the place! It's like that with both sides of the TCV, with both needles, with both turntables, with and without preamplification.

I found a thread on this that is a few days shy of a year old, and find it hard to believe that this issue has not been fixed yet.
It is most certainly NOT caused by the TT's fluctuation (I mixed a tune I had on vinyl into a song that was playing on the CD player no problem. I had this song already in digital format [which is why I picked it], so I could try doing the same with the TCV. Couldn't do it with the TCV.)

The TCV isn't warped or anything, and I cleaned it with gruvglide, so I'm really stumped. I wonder if I should try a Serato TCV and see what happens.
I just hate shelling out money on things that I don't know if I'll need.

geposted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 9:27 pm
Oh! I forgot to mention: When its un-preamplified (if that makes sense xD), the Timecode Quality drops to 0 for a split second every few seconds, then climbs back up to 100 within...well I can only discern a number in the 40's and one in the 80's before its back up to 100. So- really fast.

And also 33/45 doesn't make any difference either. (I tested out the hardware pretty thoroughly, but I'm not familiar enough with the software to know what to try xD)

geposted Sat 16 Aug 08 @ 9:41 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What are the setting you are using on the Maya's control panel? And you should be getting perfect intersecting circles not that paint spray pattern in the pics you posted. From the looks of it the settings on the Maya don't seem right.

geposted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 1:52 am
I've unchecked RIAA Preamp, (guess I don't need that if I've got a physical preamp, eh? xD) and Clear Sound (no idea what that does). And re-auto-configed, and it looks better...
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1172/mayayc0.jpg

I've also turned on my CDJ for comparison =) (I dunno if that makes a difference, that the CDJ's signal is fine?)

Also, it looks like it COULD be a circle, but its vibrating, of course, and it also looks like its stretched at 11 o'clock, 3 o'clock and 6...30 =p (Couldn't decide if that was 6 or 7)- what would that suggest?

I'm assuming that the two channels are [supposed to be] out of phase, and it's a parametric function? And the lopsidedness would indicate {if, for example, the function is x=cos(t) y=sin(t)} that they're moving at an inconsistent speed? More like x=cos(t)+.05*cos(3*t) y=sin(t)+.07*sin(4*t) or something (I didn't actually take the time to plot that out, so don't quote me on it =p I just know that it'll come out looking something like what I'm trying to say, xD)

I'm not really sure where that would come from..except for wow and flutter in the TT- but both tables? They've both got the quartz lock and are only supposed to be .01% wow and flutter. I shouldn't be experiencing +/- 1 bpm in a 135 bpm song. I mean, if it's 135*1.0001, thats 135.0135, right? not 136 =|

geposted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 6:06 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
First off, don't run the TT through a mixer then out the master into the sound card. That is why you are having all the problems.

The setup is to go from the TT to the Soundcard then the OUTPUT from the soundcard to the Mixer.

Start over with this setup and leave the MAYA settings where they are. You will need the Software RIAA PreAmp selected in the Timecode setup.

But the problem has been that you have setup the configuration incorrectly.

geposted Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 9:43 pm
What happens when you use timecode engine v4?

geposted Wed 03 Sep 08 @ 1:18 pm

(Alte Themen und Foren werden automatisch geschlossen)